In accordance with the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan “About Internal Affairs” from September 16, 2016, the Main Department of Internal Affairs of Tashkent, within its competence, carries out activities in the following main areas:
- protection of the rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of citizens;
- public order and public safety;
- implementation of operational-search activities, conduct of inquiries and preliminary investigations in criminal cases;
- fight against crime and terrorism, including by participating in the suppression of acts of terrorism and the release of hostages, as well as countering trafficking of humans;
- prevention of offenses, identification and elimination of causes and conditions that contribute to them, identification of persons which prone to committing offenses;
- execution of measures of restraint, criminal punishment and other measures of criminal law impact, as well as the search for persons;
- proceedings on cases of administrative offenses, execution of decisions on the application of administrative penalties;
- road safety;
- ensuring compliance with the requirements of the passport system, carrying out work on the issuance and paperwork required for departure and entrance to the Republic of Uzbekistan, permits for permanent and temporary residence, monitoring compliance with the passport system and the rules of stay in the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- control over the circulation of civilian and service weapons and ammunition, industrial explosives, as well as pyrotechnic products, narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their precursors;
- fire safety;
- implementation of forensic activities;
- protection of state, especially important, categorized and other objects, property of individuals and legal entities;
- licensing and issuing permits, as well as monitoring compliance with licensing and authorization requirements and conditions;
- implementation of military-mobilization work and measures for civil protection;
- participation in lawmaking and raising awareness of legal awareness and legal culture in society.
According to article 5 of this Law, the main principles of the activities of the internal affairs are legality, unity and respect for the rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of citizens, openness and transparency.
On February 14, 2018, the Resolution of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan “On the implementation of a qualitatively new system for the protection of public order, prevention of crime and the fight against crime in Tashkent” was adopted under №. PD-3528.
According to it, public order will be mainly focused on crime prevention and the fight against crime, especially among minors and young people, ensuring unity of actions by law enforcement agencies for the early detection of possible destructive threats, their coordinated and high-quality neutralization, and in accordance with the Action Strategy in five priority areas of development of the Republic of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021, the priorities for the further organization of law enforcement agencies of Tashkent in the area of public order, crime and crime prevention have been identified:
- the first is the introduction of a practical mechanism for close interaction of all state organizations, self-rule organizations of citizens and other civil society institutions on the basis of unity of action, as a pledge of security of a prosperous capital;
- the second is focusing on the early identification and elimination of the causes and conditions of committing offenses of a religious extremist nature in the context of each mahallya on the basis of the noble idea “Enlightenment against ignorance”, first of all, correcting individuals affected by extremist ideologies;
- the third is to provide practical assistance to the development of small businesses and private entrepreneurship by the prosecution authorities on a daily basis, including the creation of jobs and employment of the population, as well as their taking urgent measures to identify violations of the law, to eliminate artificial barriers and obstacles;
- the fourth is the improvement of the existing structure of the internal affairs of the city of Tashkent in order to create an effective system for managing and coordinating the activities of forces and equipment directly in the places closest to the population;
- the fifth is to increase the intellectual and professional level of the personnel of the internal affairs of the city of Tashkent, a clear delineation of tasks between sectorial services in order to avoid overloading them with participation in additional events and activities;
- the sixth is the reorientation of personnel of the Main Department of Internal Affairs of Tashkent to the wide use of the capabilities of the hardware and software of the complex "Safe city", primarily in order to ensure coordinated interaction and prompt response to crimes and its disclosure.